A pinch of Charis
Photobucket

Thursday, May 05, 2011

The Great Event of the Year

Frankly speaking, I was kinda nonchalent towards The Great Event when it first kicked off. However, with everyone talking about it, the viral topic soon got me interested. It's not easy to simply shudder off this sizzling topic, when you're working in such an environment. Every single corner you turn to, there are bound to be people whispering about the sacred parties. Aha, you got me.

And so, my first instinct to vote for, was none other than the Pappies. "Why not? They've been serving us well. We live in a safe and secure city because of them. And to be patriotic, Pappies seem to be my only choice." I thought. Well of course, the uncertainty of losing my chances in BTO and/or future career advancements, played a crucial role in determining my initial decision.

Then came one day, I chanced upon the article on Ah Gong's 'sound advice' to the very much confused Aljunied residents. I had a shock. His advice apparently came with some fear-mongering (whoever started using this word, I really love it. It's so apt.) essence.

Or should I say, I was enlightened. As though I've just popped an NZT-like pill, I was blind but now I could see so clearly. I began reading up the non-mainstream media and I had a broader picture of what the entire Gahmen had been up to. All these would not have come to light, without the criticisms of the Opps. It's a wake up call. Let's call this 'enforcing pressure'. Pressure for the arrogant Gahmen to account for their mistakes. Pressure for the Gahmen to start traveling downtown and to bring out the sleeping care and concern in them.

Yes, I've read that infamous post too. "Ungrateful Singaporeans". Hmm, does that mean voting for the Pappies would show how grateful you are to the Gahmen, or rather to Ah Gong? I'm trying to figure things out here. So having freedom of speech and sense of democracy is being ungrateful?

Do you recall this young ambitious man, who fought relentlessly for his people, out of love and passion? Wanting his people to lead a better life, hence seeking independence from B and M was his only solution? Didn't his people put their trust in him and agreed with the change? Didn't he himself start off with zero track records? Didn't he achieved our trust with that passion and promise to bring us better lives? Shrugs.

As a marketing graduate who yearns for a real marketing job, but always got rejected because of zero track records, my heart goes all out to the Opps. If you refuse to give me the chance to start writing my first line, how could I ever impress you with a diary full of creativity.

Anyways, I'm not trying to erase the decades of credit that the Gahmen or Ah Gong have accomplished. Yes, they have undeniably brought this Sunny Island to greater heights. But, most of all is at the expense of the residents. The pure passion to serve the country has been locked in the dungeon for years. Replacing which, is the greed and unwillingness to listen to it's own people. They've turned oblivious to what seems tough on the residents. They want everything their way.

"We are doing this for your own good." Even kids resent this.

The society is becoming materialistic and superficial. No degree, no job. No money, no talk. This is what have been seeded in us. Look at Mr Chiam, he might be weak and frail and talks with a slur. But, you can't deny that this weak and frail man who talks with a slur, is a passionate leader who earns utmost respect from his PP residents. How'd he do that? That is, despite unfair treatment from the Gahmen. Hmm.

As I grew older, I came to realize that I could not afford to buy a flat. Talking about increasing birth rate, does the Gahmen know the reasons behind late marriages? What about in the future? After vomitting the meagre amount of savings, I'm left penniless for my child's education and my family's healthcare. Not to mention, I might still be struggling with the housing loans.

I'd say the Gahmen ought to go back to page one of their strategies. This viscious chain is not built up overnight. I don't like being manipulated and I hate following orders blindly. I respect decisions that are made in harmony and not one-sided.

So much for being the obedient residents. We get squeezed real dry.

Let me just reiterate. Injecting Opps into the 'company' doesn't mean we are opting Ah Gong out. Ah Gong will still be sitting on his throne. And I have no doubt he is a good leader. We do appreciate his top notch capabilities (dark secrets: the invisible hands in politics). But, the Gahmen is not made up of a single soul. We need more people like him. We need people who could embrace their fear and voice out our thoughts. We have opinions on the strategies and plans, but who is willing to listen? I don't expect the Gahmen to be receptive to all our opinions, but at least one or two? Sometimes when the proposals get too ambitious or absurd, a little negative comments could set them thinking. You never know.

I love my Sunny Island too. And I hope to make it better. We've stayed in the comfort zone for quite some time. If you never try, you'll never know. If there is to be a transition period, why not have it now?

2 Comments:

Blogger Eagle Ivan said...

Nice entry there, ah dai! =)
Well, but surely, we can't just vote for the opps to have a change. The opps themselves hafta prove to us that they can serve as well.
For my side, looking at the materials sent to us, we can only *shakes heads*. I didn't read, Qiqi & others read & tell me abt it.
Perhaps we need to have more Mr Chiam's or Ah Gong's clones who can serve us well too. Then perhaps, we can vote willingly & with faith + confidence that the Sunny island can continue to prosper! =D

May 6, 2011 at 8:16 AM  
Anonymous Dai said...

Yups, ALY :) We shouldn't vote blindly. I just hate the fact that people are resenting the Opps, out of gratitude for Ah Gong. This doesn't make sense at all, thus my post here. Just to vent my frustrations on the bewilderedness.

May 6, 2011 at 8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

.Charis-Matic™.